Appropriate credentials are the foundation for working in diverse professional settings where substance use services are provided. A thorough understanding of substance use and the latest evidence-based practices for its treatment are the hallmark competency of every qualified professional. The purpose of the Certificate in Substance Use Counseling is to train students to be competent in the delivery of quality care for those affected by substance use. In this program, students will be trained to 1) develop advanced evidence-based treatment competencies and 2) develop a comprehensive knowledge of the bio-psycho-social dynamics associated with substance use.
The certificate is available at graduate levels and to non-degree-seeking individuals.
The program is taught in traditional classroom format with available online courses as well.
Learn more about the reasons behind establishing the program in this news release and audio interview recorded for WUGA-FM.
The following students are eligible for the certificate program:
- UGA graduate students enrolled in any major that have at least a 3.20 GPA.
- Non-degree seeking students who have already earned an undergraduate degree but are not currently enrolled in any degree program at UGA. These students may apply to the Graduate School solely for CERT status (see the Graduate School website for more information, non-degree certificate student admissions).
Application to the Graduate Certificate in Substance Use Counseling
Once your application has been approved and you have been accepted, you will receive follow up information on what to do next to start the program.
Requests for the certificate should be made at the beginning of the semester of your last certificate course(s)
To receive the certificate, you must do the following:
- Fill out the REQUEST FOR THE CERTIFICATE IN SUBSTANCE USE COUNSELING FORM
- Apply to graduate with the Certificate in Athena before the Graduate School’s deadline for that semester.
- Submit the form by email to email@example.com, FAX: 706-354-3917, or mail to:
University of Georgia School of Social Work
Certificate in Substance Use Counseling Office
School of Social Work
279 Williams St.
Athens, GA 30602
Once grades have been posted and your certificate request has been approved, the program office will notify the registrar and a paper certificate will be mailed to you.