Current and Prospective UGA Students
Prospective first-year students must first be accepted by UGA Undergraduate Admissions.
Upon admission to the University of Georgia, students may declare their major “Intended Social Work” and begin enrolling in our Lower-Division (2000-level) Coursework. These 2000-level SOWK courses are open to all University of Georgia students and serve as prerequisites to the Upper-Division/BSW Professional Program Coursework.
Transfer students must possess a 2.5 or higher overall GPA based on all college level work attempted. Transfer credit for social work courses will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the director of the BSW Program, who will make the final determination. Students will be required to submit course syllabi to be evaluated for equivalency. Credit will not be given for life experiences.Students who plan to transfer to the University of Georgia and wish to pursue a BSW should plan to complete the following courses or their equivalents as determined by the BSW program director:
- UGA Diversity course (3)
- Foreign language through the third semester (e.g., SPAN 2001)
- PSYC 1101 (3) – Elementary Psychology
- SOCI 1101 (3) – Introductory Sociology, or SOCI 2600 (3) – Social Problems
- STAT 2000 (4) – Introductory Statistics
- BIOL 1103 and BIOL 1103L (4) – Principles of Biology I
- PSYC 2101 (3) – Psychology of Adjustment, or PSYC 3230 (3) – Abnormal Psychology
For course descriptions, see the UGA Course Bulletin.
Follow these instructions to begin the process of changing your major to Social Work:
You will be asked to set up an appointment with a BSW academic advisor.